Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What are you eating?

I have missed adding to my blog. Sometimes there are circumstances that interfere with your daily routine. So, do you let these circumstances also interfere with your daily food intake? Does it wreak havoc on your healthy diet?
My a/c went out and my son and I were misplaced for 4 days. But, we still maintained a pretty normal diet. We did not hit fast food restaurants for every meal. We only ate out twice in those 4 days and of those meals we chose wisely...places that had fresh, healthy food selections. I have a list I would like to share of foods that are ideal for each of us to include in our daily diets. Later this week I will share a daily meal plan that I have been using that will encompass these food choices. For me, it is much easier to have something to refer to each day. I can mix things up...but having something tangible to go by (even take with me to the grocery store) just makes sense.

Here are the top super foods mentioned by most nutritional books and magazines:
almonds
beans
spinach (or other greens)
dairy (milk, cheese and yogurt)
instant oats
eggs
lean protein
natural peanut butter
extra virgin olive oil
whole grain bread and cereal (get to know millet, quinoa, barley etc...)
protein powder
raspberries and other berries

Get to know these super foods and find ways to incorporate them into your daily diet. You may use frozen if needed as they are sometimes easier to keep longer (especially berries). Throw raspberries and almonds in your morning smoothie. Add spinach and a Tbls. olive oil in your pasta dish. You can find ways to easily incorporate the super foods each day.
If you have questions about any of these foods, please ask. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. So, what super food have you used to make YOU, only better?

1 comment:

  1. All the protein powders I have ever passed by are horrible health-wise. I am curious what protien powder you use that is a super food.

    ReplyDelete